SuperSport.com News | Cycling

Monday, August 24, 2009

Hi All

Please see the good work done by Hertzel to provide a safer cycling environment with regards to the poor markings on the R44 adjacent to the Mall.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH HERTZEL - YOUR EFFORTS ARE REALLY APPRECIATED!!!

WELL DONE
Charles Nesbitt



Hi Garth ,
Your Response is much appreciated......yes , it has been a long haul.
I am glad you concur and look forward to your suggested alterations been carried out at the earliest opportunity
Once again...many thanks
Kind Regards
Hertzel


Dear Hertzel

I appreciate that you may be feeling rather frustrated with the apparent lack of action from my side relating to the roadmarkings adjacent to the Somerset Mall. Although slow, the following progress has however been made:

Upon my return from a meeting in the area last week, I purposefully took a drive past the site in question. I noted the following:
1. Markings on the left lane are indeed rather faded (as you have reported)
2. The broken line section seems sufficiently long enough for us to reduce it ahead of the gore onto the N2 without negatively affecting the merge. The dark sections on the blacktop or premix generally indicate the most highly trafficked areas - based thereon it seems clear that most motorists are crossing over at the absolute last minute - even though there are a few hundred metres of broken line ahead of the gore.
3. The reduced spacing broken markings already exist prior to the solid marking at the gore - so my original proposal to add these only would not add any additional value at this stage.

Based on the above I concluded that we should extend the solid line by at least one road marking arrow module (with the “reduced” spacing broken markings ahead of same) - the relevant set of arrow road markings would therefore need to be change to yellow.

I have referred this matter to Deon Manuel (also of the Traffic Engineering section) for further investigation and action. We discussed this on Thursday last week;
By cc of this email I will request that Deon advise both you & Cllr Pringle on his progress WRT to preparation of a design and instruction to the relevant district / depot for implementation…along with anticipated timeframes applicable.

Your patience thus far is appreciated, we hope to resolve this matter in the near future.

Regards

Garth Elliott Pr Tech Eng, Pr CPM
Transport Department
City of Cape Town
Tel +27 021 400 2964
Fax +27 021 419 8536
Cell +27 (0)84 355 4688
email: garth.elliott@capetown.gov.za