HOW IMPORTANT CAN A HEART RATE MONITOR BE?
Well in my case it was very important this Saturday morning. After leaving my house to cycle to the Waterstone Village I saw that my heart rate was quite high. I mention it to Alister and he said it was probably a reading error of my monitor. I joined the fast group for a ride to Rooiels. Arriving at Gordons Bay my heart rate was now indicating values above my maxHR. I decided to reboot the unit but it was still not normal. Just before the climb I decided to turn back as I was pumping at 230bpm. I phoned my wife to pick me up and drop me at Mediclinic. After an ECG they told me I was suffering from Atrial Fibrillation. They took me immediately for a cardioversion to RESET my heart to a normal beat. A couple of hours later I’m back home feeling 100%.
I wanted to share this to show how important a heart rate monitor can be during training and how important it is to know your body and to turn back in time if you are not feeling well.
Well in my case it was very important this Saturday morning. After leaving my house to cycle to the Waterstone Village I saw that my heart rate was quite high. I mention it to Alister and he said it was probably a reading error of my monitor. I joined the fast group for a ride to Rooiels. Arriving at Gordons Bay my heart rate was now indicating values above my maxHR. I decided to reboot the unit but it was still not normal. Just before the climb I decided to turn back as I was pumping at 230bpm. I phoned my wife to pick me up and drop me at Mediclinic. After an ECG they told me I was suffering from Atrial Fibrillation. They took me immediately for a cardioversion to RESET my heart to a normal beat. A couple of hours later I’m back home feeling 100%.
I wanted to share this to show how important a heart rate monitor can be during training and how important it is to know your body and to turn back in time if you are not feeling well.


