SuperSport.com News | Cycling

Monday, November 06, 2006






Morning,

Pretty busy “Bee” this past w/end. Family affair, Erna sin, en geen fietsry nie. Must admit I needed the break. Alles seer, physical as well as mental, and desperately trying to recover.

Not a breath of air at my place maar die “skape wei” doer onder in die baai. An amazing past week what with the rain and pretty strong winds. In general I don’t think much training took place.

Saw a group of Wannabees coming back on the R44 at about 12.00noon yesterday and I think it could have been the “PRO”team. Must have been a long ride. I wonder if they are training for the DC?

Several rode the race out Bonnievale way on Sunday. Pretty wet I’m led to believe and quite testing towards the end. Earlyish break away in the Elites group and the usual games being played in the chase/hold-up group.

I wonder how they control the actual time versus position at the finish. RK comes in eleventh at the finish line but is timed way out at 30 something. The timing mats are way after the finish line. I will have to have a word or two with the “Falcon Sports mense” methinks!

Well we are into week 4/6 leading into the DC. Too late to be early at this point in time but I think in general a pretty good Base is in place for most.

This is pretty much a crunch week. We need to make this week really count as we move in to the final two weeks of tapering.

At this point in time 99% of the prep should be under control. Its now time to dot the I’s and cross the T’s.

Book your trusty steed in for a Major Service.
Good idea to have new tyres and tubes on the bike.
Make sure that the Back up vehicle will be carrying extra tyres, wheels and tubes for all.
Don’t forget a paar spanners and a chain breaker just in case.
Extra water, ice, first aid kit, sun block, stomach mutie, extra food (fruit, raisins, muffs) etc.
Get together with the team and discuss the above which is just an example.

I am well aware of the fact that some of u are very experienced with regards to the DC, so please share your wisdom and experiences with the others. Ons is mos een groot famielie al is ons in vier gedeel nê!!

Time to also start mentally preparing yourself. The experts call it “Visualising” Think of the event. How great it’s going to be. Think positively of the awesome experience, your team mates, the fantastic countryside you will be riding thru. Believe in yourself and your team. Remember some of the tough training rides. The Du Toits Kloof Pass and how u managed to handle it. Think of the bitterly cold and wet morning sessions that u were forced to do by some idiot and the GREAT cup of coffee and chat afterwards and much much more.
(If u need counselling please don’t hesitate to contact me.)

Oh Well!!!

Hierdie Week: 4/6

Mon 6/11 Rest
Tues: 7/11 WW.BZ. 70/80% 7x or Rabbit runs 5.30am WSV
Wed: 8/11 Rest/ recovery ride. Small blade 1x hr 5.30am WSV
Thur: 9/11 West rd. YZ. 80 plus 10 x “
Frid: 10/11 Rest
Sat: 11/11 3hrs LSD/Fun ride 6.00am “
Sun: 12/11 3-4hrs “ “

Go well,

ek